Everything Christmas

DISCLAIMER: This is an extremely long post. This blog is actually the only journal I keep for myself. I know, pretty pathetic attempt at being a journal writer. I realize journals are supposed to also be more personal thoughts of the writer and such, but I figure this is better than what I was doing which was nothing. So the reason I blog such long, insignificant posts is not to bore anyone who happens to read it. It is actually just my lame attempt at journaling. There, consider yourself warned of this and any future long and or boring blogging.

And with that said, here I go...

*REWIND*
Since this is for my journaling purposes I need to back up a bit and post some pics of pre Christmas events.

Starting with decorating our Christmas tree, since I didn't get to that earlier. My mom got this "baby's first Christmas" ornament for Molly this year. I had to take a picture and I had to post it because of she looks like a little precious moment herself with those big eyes. ( I know, being her mom, I have a completely biased view of how cute she is, but I feel I'm entitled to it because I'm her mom.)

Putting the star on the top of the tree was Ana's privilege this year. We decided it would be the youngest child in the family that was able. And here she is in all her bed head glory.

And this is what causes Dave to become Mr Scrooge or the Grinch you take your pick. He HATES putting our tree up. It isn't pre-lit and every year for the past 4 or 5, I think, he has said how, "This is the last year we won't have a pre-lit tree". But alas it is taken down and all boxed up for us to use it next year. I told him maybe after dental school we can buy our very own pre-lit tree. The girls aren't really that helpful with this part but we let them think they are helping by pulling the branches apart, even though we have to go through and fix it later.

Our first of many many School Christmas programs, ironically enough, just weeks before my mom's last. (My poor mom was having a hard time at my youngest brothers school Christmas program it being his last as well as her last ever. I think she's been going to those for 30 years now.) Ali's class sang "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" and of course in San Francisco (let's make sure we are politically correct) "Dreidel, Driedel".

I used to always go get ice cream after concerts so we walked along Union Street and stopped at the first place that was open. It was called the Yogurt Bar. I liked it but Ali didn't really like it because it tasted like yogurt instead of ice cream. (you know how some frozen yogurt tastes like really yummy ice cream; not this kind.) It was a cute little shop though.

Now onto Christmas. Food, family, fun and lots of it; that's how I would describe our Christmas this year. We spent Christmas with the Gordon's this year. It was a full house but very very fun to all be together.

We draw names in both families, just because they are sooo big it would be quite an impossible Christmas list. So on Christmas Eve we exchanged those gifts. And Grandma and Grandpa gave their presents to the grandkids. We always get books from them, which I LOVE. And Grandma made all the little munchkins cute hooded towels. They are super fun and the kids LOVED them. We also filled our time with reading the Christmas story and, one of my favorite things, singing Christmas songs. Once the kids were in bed we enjoyed some hot buttered rum, thank you Brands. (no it's not alcoholic, it's supposed to be but we just used rum flavoring) It is soooooo good.


Then another popular tradition we take part in is getting to open pajamas on Christmas Eve. And, being the annoying mother that I am, I got my girls matchy matchy ones. (I only say that because I remember looking at pictures of me and my sisters growing up and wondering why my mom had to match us all the time, I thought it was so annoying. But now that I'm the mom, I can't help myself. It's just too fun.) Thank you gymboree for being one of few stores that sells matching pajamas for such a wide size range, and thanks for doing gymbucks, too.

My little family was actually awake quite a bit before everyone else in the house (only because Molly wanted to eat and right after she ate she threw it all back up on me and everywhere. So in that chaos my other girls woke up.) But it turned out perfect because we got to spend a little time as a family doing a few of the things we have been doing for a few Christmas' and want to keep tradition in our own home for Christmas' to come. These are actually things we did in my family growing up and I think they are such great ideas (and luckily Dave agrees) that we are going to keep it up in ours. Instead of going straight to the chaos of "Operation Santa" we all gather in a room and bring a small breakfast snack of toast and hot cocoa, or cider. We reiterate the fact that we are celebrating Jesus' birthday by writing down our gifts to the savior this year. They are just little promises to do better at certain things. Then my favorite part of my Christmases growing up was my gift from my dad. It is an individual letter to each of his kids. I have every single one still and can remember those as being a very special part of my Christmas and year. So I naturally wanted Dave to keep up this tradition. We only started it last year, but they are such sweet letters that I'm sure the girls will cherish someday. Obviously now they don't really pay attention to them when we read them and they don't mean much, but some day they will. And until they do appreciate them I sure enjoy reading them.

Then we all went up to partake in the feast of present giving and receiving. After having the girls narrow down their choices for Santa to one gift, Ali asked for a pink guitar, Ana asked for a Sally doll. Santa brought a pink guitar and keyboard for Ali, because the keyboard came with it. Who knew santa likes bonus packs? And after not really knowing what exactly a Sally doll was, Santa was able to make a fun little interactive doll that you can name and she'll respond to it, so Ana in fact ended up with a real Sally doll. Dave always thinks its so silly that Santa brings anything for our babies, because they are tiny and don't care. But I just have to say I'm glad he's not Santa. Molly got a little boppy play gym. Stockings were full of little whozits and whatzits galore, from lip gloss and bracelets to cd's and dvd's. Among which was the enchanted soundtrack (which i was particularly excited about)


We let the girls pick out a gift for each of their sisters. We don't really have an allowance system yet so we decided to buy their marbles from them. Quick explanation of the marble jars. I got this idea a while ago from my cute friend Rocia. The girls earn marbles and put them in their very own jar for their chores and other good choices. They get up to different lines in their jars for different rewards. They were almost up to the treat line so it was a bit of a sacrifice because they would have to start back at square one with out getting the treat. It was the only thing we could think of for them to start understanding giving up something to give something to someone else. Ali was pretty quick to the whole situation. She said, "So it's like I worked for the money because I worked to get the marbles and now you are going to buy the marbles from me." Yep, pretty much. She was also quick to notice, "Ooooh, Molly's lucky because she is going to get two presents." Leave it to Ali to notice that, little greedy guts. We did end up picking out a small present for Molly to give to Ali and Ana. I know kind of silly, but kind of fun too.

The rest of the day was spent playing with toys and eating and enjoying each other. Oh, and puking. Yep, lot's of the kids got sick including Ali and Ana. Christmas night was one of the worst nights in the history of our family. When Ali gets sick she doesn't handle it well. Instead of just resting she thinks it best to moan and moan until she's better. So all night long it was either cleaning up throw up, or listening to moaning, or feeding Molly. Lovely, I know.

More of the Holidays...

Enjoying the time we have to relax. Notice Ana's red cheeks. She broke out into a rash on her cheeks while we there. And although almost her whole entire body was covered with a rash from the dry weather, this was not the same. I think it was an allergic reaction or something.

All the newest Gordon babies born in 2007.



And making gingerbread (graham cracker) houses.

We are home now and still recovering. We drove home on New Years eve and spent most of the evening unpacking. After we put the kids to bed Dave and I celebrated by playing scrabble. We raised a glass of apple juice and sprite to the new year. ( It wasn't that tasty but it was all we had) Such the party people, I know.

I'm always a little sad when Christmas is over. But it's nice to get back into a routine. Goodbye 2007, hello 2008. It is going to be a good year.

Comments

Michelle said…
Looks like you had a great Christmas! I love your girls matching PJ's. BTW, we bought our prelit (is that how you spell it?) tree at Walmart for like $30. Worth every penny...
Anonymous said…
Thanks for sharing! I love reading your posts, you were my inspiration for starting my blog! I LOVED your Christmas Traditions, the letter, the food, the presents to Jesus, how awesome! I'm totally copying it! Also, the jammies, SUPER cute! John always tried to throw out our fake tree every year too, now we get real ones, but we aren't very good at picking out a good one! What a fun Christmas! I'm glad you taught the girls how to give each other presents, I need to be better about that next year! I also REALLY liked the marble thing, I want to know more! It sounds like something I need to do at my house, details.... do I need a disclaimer for a long comment? Love ya!
jocelyn said…
You're welcome for carrying pj's in lots of sizes (haha j/k). Your girls should be in and advertisement for them they look soooo cute!
Joni said…
Looks like a grand party!

Glad your back safely. Your kids are so cute! I like so many of your Christmas traditions. We might steal some.
Anonymous said…
Mindi, My name is Carey Heaton (Patterson). I was in Dave's circle of friends in high school (Danny, Dave, Bryant, Joni, Tara, Christina, Stephanie). Joni told me about your blog. It is so great to see Dave living such a great life. Tell him hi for me. I am so glad he has such a cute family and a great wife. I feel like I know you by reading about you. Love to you all!
Anonymous said…
I'm very much a matchy, matchy person when it comes to stuff like the pj's. When I add to my brood, I'm going to do the same thing. Another great place for a wide range of sizes for all matching(although can be pricey) is http://www.hannaandersson.com/home.asp
Very cute stuff!! I do love reading your blogs Mindi girl! Love and miss you!!

Popular Posts