Birthday Bust


Well, despite all my very good intentions and hard work Dave's birthday festivities did not go as planned.

I did make Dave's favorite dinner, but it was not ready on time. I went to make his favorite cake, strawberry cake, and realized I didn't have all the ingredients, so I settled for his next favorite, oatmeal cake. That would have turned out lovely if I didn't forget the baking soda. Cards weren't ready and presents weren't wrapped, oh...maybe that's because it had not arrived in the mail yet. I had been working on a little video of his life to give him. "Little" is really not the best word to describe it, I've spent the better half of my life these past few months working on it; secretly getting and scanning in old pictures and video from his parents and mission, and trying to get some pictures of our lives before the digital era. Really, just trying to compile 30 years of life, not easy. And of course, that wasn't quite ready yet either.

In the end we had a very late dinner, makeshift cards, a horribly flat cake, a semi-finished video that needs some improvements, and a tie.

Then today we were supposed to go out. We had a friend ready to watch our kids and everything (thanks Rocia). And our sweet little Molly decides today is the day she wants to be the grumpiest baby alive. So, after 4 hours of crying and not being able to figure out what was wrong, we canceled our plans and ended up using plan B, once again, to celebrate this monumental 30th birthday of Dave's. Plan B was getting the kids in bed, eating leftovers and watching a movie that we both fell asleep during.

In the end the video that I made, although in need of some minor changes, did turn out really well and he loved it. And he got spoiled rotten with his present. Wii must really love you. I did try, does that count?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sounds like how my anniversary turned out this year. Three kids is taking its toll on my ability to plan ahead :) There's nothing worse than planning to go out and having a child throw a fit an cancel plans.

That was a sweet idea to do a video, I'm sure it was amazing, and you will look at that for the next 30 years and it will be so precious! Besides, he got a Wii, come on! Those are two of the best presents ever, and isn't that what Birthdays are all about anyways?
Bethany said…
I'm sorry it didn't go well, but you know I am sure Dave loved it anyway! It actually will make a even better memory now, because you won't forget it :) I love the gifts you gave him, the video is a really cute idea and Wii's are so much fun!
You did good Mind!
Heidi said…
I LOVE the video idea! Even though it didn't turn out the way you planned, I'm way impressed!!!

Popular Posts