Just dandi
So, I thought I would explain the name of my blog. Dandi is actually Dave and I's names combined. (Ahh, I see it now) I didn't all of the sudden think of it though. We thought of it or realized it when we were first married, (I'm not sure why) and use it for a lot of different things. So I was trying to be creative and think of something to go along with it and I came up with "Just dandi", for a few reasons. Partly because it's just us, nothing to exciting or outrageous just stories from our life. The main reason though is for partly the fact and partly for the reminder that life is just dandi.

It reminds me of a song that Dave put on a Cd for me. But first a little background on the Cd. My mom and dad who have been married for 35 years are one of the most amazing couples. But apparently my mom tells me of times when they were first married that my dad was not at all a romantic. And wouldn't always remember to do sweet things on special dates. (uh-oh) Anyway my mom finally put her foot down. (and if any of you know her, will think this is absurd that she would ever say something like this because of her overwhelming kindness and ability to make sure everyone is happy) I think it was on a mothers day and none of the kids did anything, and I don't think my dad did much, if anything either. (I was one of the youngest, so I am not to blame because I probably wasn't even born by that time, just a little disclaimer :) She finally told my dad that if she didn't start getting flowers for mothers day, birthday and anniversary she was going to take the kids and leave. Of coarse she would have never in a million years left him, but he got the point. She has received beautiful flower arrangements for every little holiday since I can remember. The whole thing also sparked a little more romance from my dad and he made her a Valentines tape, which was a pretty big step for him. That tape is practically an heirloom now. Our family has listened to that tape so many times especially in Lake Powell on our family vacations. It has songs on it that will forever remind me of my mom and dad. It is a very very special thing in our family. My dad has since made a few more Cd's which are called Valentines II and III, and for Christmas a few years ago has made all of us kids a copy of the tapes in Cd form. One of the songs is actually our family song that has been sung at all of the weddings, but that's another story for another day.

So, now to tie that back into the Cd Dave made for me. He knew how special I thought that tape was and he decided for our 3rd Anniversary to make me an Anniversary Cd. It has all of the songs from our wedding video on it. And then to follow tradition he made me and Anniversary II Cd for our 5 year anniversary, this one has songs that we love and songs that really mean a lot and some songs he just liked a lot. One of the songs he put on it is called "Just Another Day in Paradise" by Phil Vassar. Which I would call our "family song" or motto, at least for now. Yes, we are suckers for country music. But it is such a sweet little song about how life really is. For kicks I'll just copy the lyrics so you can read them if you so choose to.

I know it is pretty dang cheesy. But I had to giggle a little when I heard it because that is really what life is like. One day, back in undergrad, Dave came home feeling extremely discouraged about school. He was trying to do well in school to get the grades to get him into dental school, and just got some bad news about a test score or something. On his way home he heard this song on the radio and he told me all about it. He just said that's how he feels. He didn't care that life is hard and crazy because he loved it and wouldn't trade it for anything. So we've kind of adopted that motto: We are livin' in our own little paradise and life is "Just dandi".
It reminds me of a song that Dave put on a Cd for me. But first a little background on the Cd. My mom and dad who have been married for 35 years are one of the most amazing couples. But apparently my mom tells me of times when they were first married that my dad was not at all a romantic. And wouldn't always remember to do sweet things on special dates. (uh-oh) Anyway my mom finally put her foot down. (and if any of you know her, will think this is absurd that she would ever say something like this because of her overwhelming kindness and ability to make sure everyone is happy) I think it was on a mothers day and none of the kids did anything, and I don't think my dad did much, if anything either. (I was one of the youngest, so I am not to blame because I probably wasn't even born by that time, just a little disclaimer :) She finally told my dad that if she didn't start getting flowers for mothers day, birthday and anniversary she was going to take the kids and leave. Of coarse she would have never in a million years left him, but he got the point. She has received beautiful flower arrangements for every little holiday since I can remember. The whole thing also sparked a little more romance from my dad and he made her a Valentines tape, which was a pretty big step for him. That tape is practically an heirloom now. Our family has listened to that tape so many times especially in Lake Powell on our family vacations. It has songs on it that will forever remind me of my mom and dad. It is a very very special thing in our family. My dad has since made a few more Cd's which are called Valentines II and III, and for Christmas a few years ago has made all of us kids a copy of the tapes in Cd form. One of the songs is actually our family song that has been sung at all of the weddings, but that's another story for another day.

So, now to tie that back into the Cd Dave made for me. He knew how special I thought that tape was and he decided for our 3rd Anniversary to make me an Anniversary Cd. It has all of the songs from our wedding video on it. And then to follow tradition he made me and Anniversary II Cd for our 5 year anniversary, this one has songs that we love and songs that really mean a lot and some songs he just liked a lot. One of the songs he put on it is called "Just Another Day in Paradise" by Phil Vassar. Which I would call our "family song" or motto, at least for now. Yes, we are suckers for country music. But it is such a sweet little song about how life really is. For kicks I'll just copy the lyrics so you can read them if you so choose to.
The kids screaming, phone ringing
Dog barking at the mailman bringing
That stack of bills - overdue
Good morning baby, how are you?
Got a half hour, quick shower
Take a drink of milk but the milk's gone sour
My funny face makes you laugh
Twist the top on and I put it back
There goes the washing machine
Baby, don't kick it.
I promise I'll fix it
Long about a million other things
Friday, you're late
Guess we'll never make our dinner date
At the restaurant you start to cry
Baby, we'll just improvise
Well, plan B looks like
Dominoes' pizza in the candle light
Then we'll tippy toe to our room
Make a little love that's overdue
But somebody had a bad dream
Mama and daddy
Can me and my teddy
Come in to sleep in between?
Well, it's ok. It's so nice
It's just another day in paradise
Well, there's no place that
I'd rather be
Well, it's two hearts
And one dream
I wouldn't trade it for anything
And I ask the lord every night
For just another day in paradise
I know it is pretty dang cheesy. But I had to giggle a little when I heard it because that is really what life is like. One day, back in undergrad, Dave came home feeling extremely discouraged about school. He was trying to do well in school to get the grades to get him into dental school, and just got some bad news about a test score or something. On his way home he heard this song on the radio and he told me all about it. He just said that's how he feels. He didn't care that life is hard and crazy because he loved it and wouldn't trade it for anything. So we've kind of adopted that motto: We are livin' in our own little paradise and life is "Just dandi".
Comments