Mother's Day



Over the past few years Mother's Day has become one of my favorite days. For completely selfish reasons. Dave really makes it a special day for me and makes me feel really appreciated and loved. My first mother's day as a mother was when Ali was nearly 1 year old (Her birthday is so close to mothers day that she was born just after it the year she was born). That first mothers day, Dave found a recipe online for stuffed french toast and woke up early and made me a fabulous breakfast and when he woke me up I came out to a beautifully set table with a delicious breakfast and beautiful flowers. I have never been one to love flowers. I know it sounds strange. I think it's because we have been on a student budget since we've been married, that it kills me to spend the money on something that is going to die in a few days. I'm cheap what can I say. I love flowers and eventually someday when we aren't on a student budget I'm sure I will welcome flowers gladly. Even though I've told Dave this he tells me he doesn't care what I say, I will get flowers on Mother's Day at least. I guess I won't protest. It has since become a tradition and he does the same thing for me every year.

I might also add that he totally scored big points on the gifts this time too. (like usual, he seems to always pull off the best ideas) He got me a beautiful card and he certainly has a way with words, it was a sweet little letter. So, he knew I was wanting a specific maternity swimsuit but, I couldn't bring myself to buy it because it was pricey. Not that I'm dying to get into a swimsuit right now, or ever for that matter. I don't have a maternity one and we will be spending some of our summer vacation at the beach. Anyway, he didn't even know what it looked like, but he knew the brand and my description and the price and picked out the very one I wanted in the right size too. Then he got me a piano songbook at about the level I am at so I have something to practice other than the primary children's songbook and the hymn book. "The baby" got me a demdaco, willow tree figurine to add to my collection. I am in love with these figurines. We got our first one from a coworker of Dave's when we first had Ali and I had never seen them before and I was actually not sure I liked them at all. They are hand carved figurines painted with very subtle neutral colors. They don't have any faces painted on them, which is what I think caught me off guard at first, but now it's what I love about them most. As the box says "expression is revealed through gestures only." We have a bit of a collection now that somewhat represent different stages of our life. We also, over the years, have collected the whole nativity set. Starting with our first Christmas, every year we'd buy a new piece and we had it complete last Christmas. It is the most beautiful nativity set I've seen and is our favorite part of our Christmas decorations. But the figurine this time is of a mother holding a tiny baby. The other thing I love about these is the titles and sayings with them that are on the bottom. This one says Angel of Mine "So loved, so very loved".

Ali has been so cute this week. She told Dave as soon as she found out Mother's day was coming up she wanted to get me jewelry. I tried to not over hear, but it was hard when she doesn't know how to keep a secret very well or whisper very softly. She would see commercials for various department stores advertising Mother's day and she would see the segment on jewelry and say, " Hey, Mom...." and would catch herself before she realized she was about to give away the surprise. We were at a JCPenney picking up pictures and she told me that this was the store that had what she wanted to get me for Mother's Day. She started to get so concerned that daddy wouldn't be able to find the store, when they went shopping. It was so cute to have her be so excited to get me something, that she thought of all by herself.

I feel so extremely blessed to be a mother. It is hard and busy work a lot of the time and certainly does a number on your body in many ways. But it's all worth it. I remember when I saw my first stretch marks, that was not a happy day. It's kind of random but the only place I got them was on my legs. Which didn't make me happy because you can't always hide your legs and no one would have ever seen my belly. I remember freaking out about it to Dave and he said, "Mindi, stretch marks are the badge of motherhood, and you will wear them proud!" I am grateful for my sweet husband and for all of his love and humor and support. I marvel everyday at the amazing gift of motherhood that I have been given. I feel very fortunate that Dave and I have had very limited problems in being able to bring children to this world. I love my children so much and I can't imagine my life without them. And if stretch marks is what it takes to be a mother than I will wear that "badge" proud!

Comments

Joni said…
If stretch marks are badges then there's a new sheriff in town! (me)

Good boy, Dave!
Michelle said…
Cute. I love the old pictures. Good job Dave! What did Ali end up getting you?

Popular Posts