Christmas 2008

Christmas was crazy, busy, but absolutely wonderful, as always. My whole family was together (which is quite the feat), minus Jessica, who was incredibly missed. We did get to talk to her on the phone for a second, which was a surprise because we didn't think she would be able to talk to us being in the MTC and all.

(My mom and dad's Christmas tree that my mom got from the festival of trees a few years ago)
We had our traditional foods, that I look forward to every year. Frappe, Fondue, little pigs in a blanket and my mom's Christmas candy. (Which she still made after just finding out she had cancer. I think people would have understood if you didn't make it this year, mom.)

We normally have the kids act out the nativity but, I think we don't have enough sheets and towels to dress all these kids. Not to mention the fact that trying to organize an "acting out" of the nativity with 24 kids seemed very chaotic and daunting. So we settled for my dad reading the nativity while we tried our best to keep the kids quiet and listening.

Since our family is quite large we do the ever popular drawing names every year. And we always open these gifts to each other and the kids to each other on Christmas Eve so that gift giving doesn't get lost in the craziness of Christmas morning. So we exchanged those gifts that night. And grandma and grandpa always have an "Open Christmas Eve" present for everyone. It is always matching pj's which are always so cute and much appreciated.

Meg and Molly, the only two girls that weren't big enough to match the others. But grandma made sure they at least matched each other.

All the other girls. I just realized I didn't get a picture of the boys, I should have, but I don't have a child in that category so it must have slipped my mind.

I don't know what it was, but Molly had a little infatuation with her cousin Gabe. She was always walking up to him and trying to hug him and sit on his lap. It was really funny and super cute.

Ali & Ana in their matching jammies.

Santa had a very busy and late night.
Ali had someone at school tell her that Santa wasn't real and that it's just her parents that do it all. First of all, what kind of kid do you have to be to say something like that to a 1st grader, come on. So anyway, we've been trying to encourage her to still believe in Santa (it hasn't proved to be too difficult). It was funny though because on Christmas Eve we were getting them in their beds and she started saying in a very matter of fact voice, " 'so and so' is totally wrong because none of the parents could go out and get Christmas presents right now, it's too late, all the stores are closed. So Santa has to be real." That's right Ali, no arguing with you on that one. It's just not possible for parents pull that off. :)

Christmas morning, keeping the tradition of my dad, Dave gave his letters to the girls, which they still don't completely appreciate yet, but they will someday. And this year I made him add me to the list so I could get a letter from him too. It was perfect and I look forward to his letters every year. They are priceless.

Ali wanted an ipod this year. Santa did not dissapoint. An ipod shuffle equipped with all the latest and greatest teen disney hits, and a little tiny speaker set. We got her some Junie B Jones chapter books and a scooter.

Ana actually wanted a bumbo chair for a baby doll. Unfortunately Santa had a hard time with that one so she settled for some little baby furniture, a crib, a high chair and a stroller with a new baby she named Felicia. We got Ana some Mary Engelbreit Nursery Tale books and a scooter.

And Molly was thrilled with her little alphabet train. It was so fun to see her play with that thing all morning long. Molly got some Sandra Boynton books and some puzzles from us.

She also liked playing with all the other toys that were not hers.

I surprised Dave with a shot gun. There were some license issues with being California residents, and I knew nothing about guns so I had to talk to Dave about it a month or so before Christmas, because what I was trying was just not working. But our conversations just led to the conclusion that it was too complicated and that it just wasn't going to work until we moved. So he thought that he wasn't going to one. But with the help my sweet father in law I was able to get him his shotgun and he was SO excited. Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of him with it. It was really fun to surprise him.

It was fun to be the spoiler, and it was fun to be spoiled. Dave did an excellent job and picked out all the perfect things. He got me a hayjack necklase that I've wanted for a long time. He got me a photography book and a surger and a fabulous pair of pajama pants.

Grandma and Grandpa spoiled the kids some more with toys and clothes. And they spoiled us with a trip to England in June of 2010 to go get Jess. We are super excited.

It was a fabulous Christmas. And the best part about it, as always, is to be with family and share such a wonderful holiday especially this year with my mom's new journey ahead of her. It was a good to all be together. And I always appreciate the renewed sense of hope and goodness, and the desire to do better that this season brings
Merry Christmas 2008!

Comments

Popular Posts